Ken Vincett is the current owner of the land that this barn stands on. He believes that this barn and the house on the quarter were both built in 1914. The previous tenant of the land, Andrew Ullrickson, remembers that his father, Martin Ullrickson, and family were well off at the time. Andrew believes that this stability meant the family could afford to build the barn and house. The Ullrickson’s sold the property and moved to Monte Creek, BC in the late 1910s as they tried to stay ahead of the railroad. Martin Ullrickson loved the open range and sought to live free of fences and rail.
Ken Vincett reasons that this barn housed pigs for the entirety of its use. Additionally, this property also has a larger barn, which housed cattle and horses, but that barn fell down many years ago.
Ken knows for certain that the last time the barn pictured below housed pigs was in the 1970s. Peter Van Griethuizen, who is Ken’s uncle, lived on the property at that time and raised hogs. Ken remembers coming over to the property to play and help his uncle with the pigs when he was a child. Ken said that, while he was growing up, the “loft” of the barn stored a big pile of junk. Ken’s grandmother acquired this junk from a neighbouring family.
During Ken’s grandmother’s time, a family, who was renting a property nearby, had to leave their home. The land they had been renting was most likely sold and so the family had to move on. The Van Griethuizen’s agreed to store a few possessions during their neighbour’s move. However, the neighbouring family never came back for their items. You can still find some of the aged gear in the barn. The barn uses balloon frame construction.
Vincett, Ken. Personal communication. 6 Jul. 2016.
“Martin Ulkrickson.” The Early Devisors. 1st ed. Forestburg: Forestburg Historical Society, 1977. Print.
52.508195, -112.030760 SE 12-41-15 W4
Barn Condition: Poor
Construction Date: 1914
Roof Shape: Skillion and lean to
Roof Covering: Cedar shakes
Siding: Wooden shiplap
Additional History on the Property
Martin Ullrickson had a run-in with some of the most notorious dwellers of the Battle River of that time. “Alberta’s Cattle Rustler King”, Jack Dubois, and his gang of cattle rustlers stole many branded cattle in the Forestburg/Galahad area. Many local residents still remember the name Jack Dubois to this day. For those of you unfamiliar with the story, the following history is worth the time it takes to read. The run-in between Dubois and Ullrickson was like a real life western movie. Click here to read more of their story.