Edwin Streich’s father bought the property this barn sits on in 1942. The barn was built by Roy, Vansel, and Harmon Misner. Vansel Misner came to visit the barn often after he moved to Rocky Mountain House. He was a frequent visitor up until his death.
The family that owned the property before the Streichs used the barn for horses. The Streichs used the barn for cattle and horses beginning in 1942. The family stopped using horses on their farm in the 1950s and got rid of their cattle in the 1980s. The Striechs know that the barn got painted after construction in 1918. For maintenance, the barn was again painted in 1956 and sometime in 1970s. The barn was built using frame construction with platform framing. Streich, Edwin and Linda.
Personal communication. 20 Jun. 2016.
This frame shows the southern face and western side of the Streich barn.
This frame was taken directly from the South.
This frame shows the southern face and eastern side of the barn.
This barn has five lightning rods and one cupola. Edwin Streich remembers when the cupola blew off the roof during a strong storm. He decided that he would repair it and then reinstalled it on the barn.
The barn sits on a concrete foundation and has a concrete floor on the ground level.
Many of the stalls in this barn still have the mangers installed.
The manger in the pigs’ stall still has the wooden guides for hay to be dropped down from the loft into the manger.
This frame shows two of the eastern stalls. The Streichs now store their firewood here. It has proven to be a great area to cure the fresh wood and then store it until use.
Just off the southern door and to the eastern are the staircase to the loft and the chop storage room, the latter of which is pictured here. The chop room has a funnel that was used to bring the chop inside the room using an auger and a hammermill.
This frame shows the staircase to the loft. The wall on the right side of this photo is the southern wall of the barn and the wall on the left side of this photo is the chop storage room.
The large loft doors in this barn are double swinging doors. Usually the large loft door is a single door that folds down to the ground in order to operate the hay track. The doors on this barn were most likely installed because there was no hay track. Linda Streich told me that most times the family would load bales into the loft through the small door just below the two large swinging doors. They would toss the bales up into the loft before they acquired a bale elevator.
The northern side of the barn usually deteriorates faster than the rest of the barn. This is because the sun does not reach the northern face. With no light to dry the dampness, from dew and rain, the north side is more susceptible to slow deterioration.
The rafters in the loft support the roof. A roof with two slopes created by rafters is called a gambrel. This barn has a gambrel roof.
52.540245, -111.994948 SW 20-41-14 W4
Barn Condition: Good
Construction Date: Built in 1918
Features: One cupola, hay hood but no hay track, lightning rods
Roof Shape: Gambrel
Paint: Red with some white trim
Decorations: Has the construction date painted on the south face
Roof Covering: Metal
Siding: Wooden drop siding