Not much is known about the use of this barn but it is known that the property was homesteaded by the Comley family. Mr. and Mrs. William Comley arrived in Sedgewick, Alberta in June of 1910 and purchased the property the barn sits on from the Canadian Pacific Rail and Land Company. They built the barn and the house that still stand on the quarter. William was an accomplished stonemason and so he built the barn’s foundation. William and his younger brother, Frank, were known for having worked in Edmonton in the summer of 1911 on the Flatiron Building at 95th Street and Jasper Avenue. As well, William’s son, Gilbert, boasted that, as a carpenter, he hung the door and window sashes on Edmonton’s first brewery at 121 Street and and 102 Avenue.
The property was purchased by Cathy Harder in the early 2010s. Even upon purchase, the barn was in a state of disrepair; however, it is still well known in the area. The barn is frame construction with platform framing.
Routledge, John and Peggy. Personal communication. 20 Jul. 2016.
52.878621, -111.429285 SW 17-45-10 W4.
Barn Condition: Poor
Construction Date: Unknown
Roof Shape: Gambrel
Roof Covering: Wooden shingles
Siding: Wooden shiplap
Foundation: Mortar and field stone/brick
Additional Information on the Property
Comley Mullen, Morraine. “The Comley Story”. Metropolitan Memories. 1st ed. Sedgewick: The Community Press, 1979. Print.