Fred and Elizabeth Forster rented the property that this barn sits from Marion Wilson (Hawley). They began living here in the spring of 1941 and lived here until 1955 when they moved to the house-site on NW 31-41-13 W4 (click here for more information on that property). Keith Forster bought the quarter of land from his parents, Fred and Elizabeth, when Keith began farming. This barn is photographed quite regularly because it sits east of Highway 36 just after the correction line.
Stosky, Florence. Personal communication. 28. Jun. 2017
Forster farm in 1957
This frame is of the southern face of the barn.
A close up of the south face of the barn shows the barn’s field stone foundation.
This frame shows the main walkway inside the barn on the ground floor. Since the barn is built into the hillside, the northern aspect of the field stone foundation is visible in the depths of this frame.
There is a wooden storage unit in the south-eastern corner of the barn on the ground floor.
The loft’s floor has badly deteriorated and is not suitable for bearing weight anymore.
Replacement siding and timbers lay on the dirt ground floor, never to be used.
This frame shows the eastern wall of the barn. The logs which create the guard for the hay falling down through the hat chute.
The main barn has a shed-roof addition.
This frame is of the eastern half of the barn’s roof.
The shed addition on the eastern side of the barn was used in the recent past as a granary.
Up on top of the hill, this frame was taken of the northern face of the barn.
This frame was taken while standing on the northern side of the barn looking south. It shows the inside of the barn’s loft.
This frame is of the eastern side of the barn’s loft.
This frame shows the stone wall present on the northern face of the barn. The barn has fallen off the foundation on the northern side.
This frame was taken while standing on the western side of the barn looking towards the north-eastern corner of the barn on the ground floor.
The following photos are of the eastern set of stalls.
52.665651, -111.826933 NW 33-42-13 W4.
Barn Condition: Poor
Construction Date: Unknown
Roof Shape: Gambrel
Paint: Was red, only painted once
Decorations: No names or dates
Roof Covering: Wooden shingles
Siding: Wooden shiplap
Foundation: Concrete and field stone