This barn and the old house in the same yard were moved to this quarter of land in the fall of 1963. Albert and Hiram James were the first people to own the barn back when it was still standing on the quarter to the south (NW 28-40-15 W4). After AtcoPower bought that quarter of land in the late 1950s, the barn was sold to the Muyres family. AtcoPower mined for a short while on the old James land but the coal was not good enough quality to warrant much exploration.
Kevin Lattery moved the barn for the Muyres. The barn had to be cut in half to move it because it was so long. The barn is approximately 80 feet long by 30 feet wide by 20 feet tall at the peak. The Muyres family insulated and double-lined the barn once it arrived. They put new tin on the roof and outer walls in the early 2000s.
The Muyres used the barn for milk cows from 1965-1981 and for pigs from 1965-1990.
Muyres, Donald. Personal communication. 15 June 2017.
52.482589, -112.114978 SW 33-40-15 W4
Barn Condition: Good
Construction Date: After 1919 but before 1954, most likely the early 1920s
Features: Two cupolas
Roof Shape: Gable
Paint: Red and white
Decorations: No names or dates, white trim
Roof Covering: White tin
Siding: Red tin
Additional History on the Property
Donald Muyres’ great-grandfather was born in Holland. Don’s grandfather and father lived in Minnesota. Don’s father came to the Battle River area in 1922 and lived on several properties (NW 29-40-14 W4 and SW 33-40-15 W4) before settling on NE 32-40-15 W4 for the remainder of his life.
“Donald Muyres” “Michael R. Muyres Family” “Raymond Muyres” Yesterday and Years Ago: A History of Forestburg and District. 1st ed. Forestburg: Forestburg and District Historical Book Committee, 1983. Print.