The property this barn sits on was homesteaded by Hugh Taylor in 1906. Hugh was a teacher for Loveland School, a secretary for the Municipality of Wheatland, and later employed with the Union Trust Company. He commissioned the barn to be built in 1919 out of fir from British Columbia. The barn was built using frame construction and balloon framing.
Ken Ponto came to own the property starting in the late 1940s. Ken and his wife, Helen, lived here for 10 years before leaving the region. Ken poured cement in the center wing of the barn.
Leonard and Mary Geier lived on the property from the 1980s until 2013. The family used the barn to store grain in 1980. Early in their time there, they had a mixed farm and milked cows in the eastern wing of the barn. The family also had sheep from 1987-1991 but they stopped keeping livestock in the barn after 1991. From then on, the family used the barn to store bales for their cattle. A few weddings and dances were held in the barn through those 30 years that Leonard and Mary lived here.
In 2013, Dwight Geier received the barn. He had new tin put on the barn’s roof in 2016 and painted the barn in the spring of 2017.
Geier, Dwight. Personal communication. 18 Jul. 2017.
52.522571, -111.922832 SW 14-41-14 W4
Barn Condition: Good
Construction Date: 1919
Features: Two cupolas
Roof Shape: Monitor
Paint: Red with white trim
Decorations: No names or dates
Roof Covering: Metal
Siding: Wooden shiplap
Additional History on the Property
“Mr. Hugh Taylor”. Golden Echoes: A History of Galahad and District. 1st ed. Galahad: Galahad Historical Society, 1980. Print.
“Ponto Family History”. Golden Echoes: A History of Galahad and District. 1st ed. Galahad: Galahad Historical Society, 1980. Print.