This property was homesteaded by Nels Toppe in 1906. He farmed and lived here until 1946 when he went back home to visit his native Norway. Nels got ill while there and recovered enough to come back to Alberta; however, he passed away not long after. Nels had the barn built but it is unclear if he hired any help to complete the job.
In 1946, James A. Baker purchased the property after he returned home from the war. James had been overseas with the army from 1941 to 1946. He married Alene Gosnell in November 1947 and the two lived on this property until 1960. In 1962, James’ parents moved here and this was where Mrs. Baker resided until she got ill.
Randy Lewis now owns the property and farms the surrounding land. This barn was built using frame construction and balloon framing. The eastern shed of the barn was created as a workshop. This shed must have been an addition because the shiplap siding is not continuous with the rest of the barn. The western shed has three milking stalls and a penned area. The center of the barn does not have a loft and would have been used for storage of feed. The barn was built using frame construction and balloon framing.
Lewis, Daniel. Personal communication. 13 Jul. 2017.
52.626887, -111.751645 SW 24-42-13 W4
Barn Condition: Fair
Construction Date: 1925
Roof Shape: Bonnet
Decorations: No names or dates
Roof Covering: Cedar shingles
Siding: Wooden shiplap
Additional History on the Property
This homestead map shows many original settlers in the surrounding area. Some of their barns still stand and some of those are featured in this database.
“Homestead Map.” As the Wheel Turns: A History of Merna and District. 1st ed. Sedgewick: The Community Press, 1971. Print.
“Nels Toppe”. As the Wheel Turns: A History of Merna and District. 1st ed. Sedgewick: The Community Press, 1971. Print.
“Mr. and Mrs. Alan A. Baker and family”. As the Wheel Turns: A History of Merna and District. 1st ed. Sedgewick: The Community Press, 1971. Print.
“James A. Baker”. Sedgewick Sentinel: A History of Sedgewick and Surrounding Districts. 1st Ed. Sedgewick: Sedgewick Historical Society, 1982. Print