This is a large 32 x 50 gambrel roof barn with an attached shed on the northern face measuring the width of the barn x 20’ long. It was built on a field-stone and mortar foundation. The barn has a hay hood and the hay carrier system, still intact. A set of stairs lead the the loft. A large door is intact with a rectangular window on each side. The large rectangular cupola is about 4 ft long and 3 ft wide with wood slated louvres. The roof has cedar shingles. The floor is heavy hard-wood planks and the siding is wooden drop siding. Five windows line both sides of the barn, each above a double stall. This barn was built for at least 10 work horses. There is a side entrance to the barn on the western side of the barn as well as a smaller side door to the loft. The main entrance to the barn is a big sliding door on the southern face of the barn. On the northern side, there is a door to the shed addition. The barn was painted red with white trim.
Louis Kilmer was the head carpenter for this barn and built it in 1913 for Mike Zwack. Mike retired to Daysland in 1942. Joe and Adrienne (Brausen) took over the farm in 1945 and they likely used the barn for some livestock – perhaps milk cows. Joe and Adrienne retired in 1973. They had one infant son who passed away in 1947. After that, it was sold to Gary and Dorothy Meyer who resided elsewhere and so they did not use the barn. This land was sold to Ken Roth in 1990. The barn continues to remain empty and is falling into disrepair. It would once have been a beauty, as it still is today – even in its neglected state.
Please check out the other barn owned by Ken and Kathy Roth, which is also featured in this database.
Roth, Kathy. Personal communication. 26 June 2017.
Ken and Kathy Roth. Wagon Trails in the Sod: A History of the Heisler Area: Volume II. 1st ed. Heisler: Heisler Community Historical Society, 2017, pg. 670. Print.
This frame is of the eastern half of the barn. This barn had four additional stalls inside the addition on the North side of the barn.
52.773820, -112.202187 SW 12-44-16 W4
Barn Condition: Poor
Construction Date: 1913
Features: Hay hood, hay carrier, and hay track, one cupola, shed addition on northern face
Roof Shape: Gambrel
Paint: Red with white trim
Decorations: No names or dates
Roof Covering: Cedar shingles
Siding: Wooden shiplap
Foundation: Fieldstone and mortar