Austin and Christine Kienetz came to the Heisler area from Minnesota in 1902. They filled for a homestead on the quarter section which this barn stands on. Austin and Christine most likely had the barn built between 1915 and 1920. A local builder and helpful neighbours would have been needed to erect the barn.
Leo Weller purchased this property in 1945 from Eloy and Ethyl Kienetz. Eloy was the son of Austin and Christine Kienetz. It is known that Leo used the barn for dairy cows and beef cattle. However, in the 1940s, it was common for farms to have many different types of livestock in order to feed the family members who lived there. As such, it is likely that the barn on this quarter also housed pigs and other small livestock. While Leo owned the barn in the 1960s, new shingles were installed on its roof.
Roger, son of Leo, and Doreen Weller took ownership of this property in the late 1960s. Roger was the last person to keep livestock inside this barn. He raised milk cows and beef cattle and so milking and calving would have occurred in the barn. He milked cows until the newly introduced milk quota turned him off that business venture. Roger kept raising beef cattle for many years after that. As such, the barn was surrounded by corrals and pasture while he owned the property. Metal cladding was installed to replaced the old roof shingles in the 1980s. Roger moved to town sometime after this and the property sat vacant for many years.
Colin Weller acquired the quarter and this barn in 2013 from his mother, Peggy Weller. He moved onto this property in 2015, after his new house was built. Colin has plans to restore the barn in the very near future.
Weller, Colin. Personal communication. 30 Aug. 2017.
Weller, Colin. Wagon Trails in the Sod: A History of the Heisler Area: Volume II. 1st ed. Heisler: Heisler Community Historical Society, 2017, pg. 684. Print.
52.787246, -112.269551 SW 16-44-16 W4
Barn Condition: Fair
Construction Date: 1915 – 1920
Features: Single wooden cupola and hay hood, hay track, and hay carrier
Roof Shape: Gambrel
Paint: Red with white trim
Decorations: No names or dates,
Roof Covering: Metal
Siding: Wooden drop siding
Foundation: Cement except in south-eastern corner where it is made of field stones