Jerry Weller’s grandfather moved to the property in 1907 and built the barn around 1915. The story goes that Jerry’s grandfather built the barn himself even before the family’s first house was built. The original layout of this barn was almost identical to the Feddema barn. After recent renovations, this barn got a new lease on life.
Originally, the east side of the barn housed dairy cattle from the time when Jerry was young until 1974. The family sold their cream to the creamery in Daysland. The Wellers used to store loose hay in the barn in the early 1960s before they got a bale elevator for square hay bales. This barn did not originally have an actual loft. Loose hay was instead stored in the open-air walkway between the two sides of the barn. The west side of the barn housed the family’s draft horses up until machinery came to the farm in the late 1950s. Around the early 1970s, the family restored the foundation on the west side of the barn. They also renovated the western side of the barn for pigs.
The Weller’s barn used to have wrought iron stanchions and stalls for the cattle. Most of these are now long gone but they were quite a sight to behold even when the barn was new. Wrought iron was beautiful but it was also a luxury few could afford at the time of construction. Most historical barns have a hay carrier for transporting loose hay into the barn. However, the Weller barn also had a litter carrier to aid in cleaning the barn of manure. Louden litter carriers were the first litter carrier even patented.
The east side of the barn had its’ foundation restored in 1995. That was the year the family had most of the barn renovated on the inside and when metal roofing/siding was installed. It was also at this point that the Wellers had the eastern side of the barn renovated. These renovations turned the barn into a garage for tools and a butchery. Even today, the Wellers use the eastern half of the barn as a station to butcher pigs for the Heisler Elk’s Club. The family stopped raising pigs in 2005.
Weller, Jerry. Personal communication. 24 Jun. 2016.
52.739579, -112.224798 NW 26-43-16 W4
Barn Condition: Good
Construction Date: 1915
Features: Two metal ventilators, hay hood and hay track, two weather vanes
Roof Shape: Bonnet
Paint: Red with white trim and a black roof
Decorations: No names or dates
Roof Covering: Metal